F A Q' s

Frequently Asked Questions !

>What's your Returns Policy?

If we have to cancel any tour, or you are unable to attend because of unforeseen circumstances, we'll attempt to re-assign you to an alternative tour of your choosing. If this is not possible by mutual agreement, we will refund all monies paid.

> Does World On Wheels organise airfares, travel insurance, etc?

Airfares, no. You need to do this with your own Travel Agent or we'll put you in touch with ours in Sydney -- they know all our itinerary dates and can arrange any stopovers / extensions you want.

Insurance, yes.  You need to ensure your policy adequately covers the use of a motorcycle greater than 250cc capacity -- many of them don't. We have been using AussieTravelCover for more than 25 years -- because they do. You are not obliged to purchase a policy from them, you are welcome to source it elsewhere but we will not accept an uninsured traveller on any of our tours.  Why? Read James & Jo's real-life story here!

> Which side of the road do they ride on?

Good question!  In India, Nepal and Bhutan, the British have left a legacy of left-hand driving. Pretty much everywhere else, it's the right side o' the road.

> Do I require a motorbike license?

Yes of course. In certain countries like India for example, authorities will permit riding a bike on a car license, but if you're involved in an accident your insurance will be declared null and void if you can't cough up a motorcycle license. We won't accept any rider who doesn't have a bike license.

> Do we ride as a group or are we free to spread out?

There are times when we'll need to group up to navigate you through a busy city, but usually you're free to spread far and wide. We typically appoint a Leader and a Tail-end Charlie, and we have a corner-marking system in place when needed. And NO, we won't put you in a fluoro vest or have a kiddie's wavy-wand flag on the back of your bike! We prefer to treat you like adults.

> Do I require a visa?

Visas are presently not required (or are issued free upon arrival) for Australian passport holders to visit Iceland, Morocco, Peru, Bolivia, or anywhere in Europe. Visas for Nepal are issued upon arrival and cost US$50. Visas to India, Bhutan or Turkey need to be obtained prior to arrival and are Au$75, US$20 and US$100 respectively. If you pass through Santiago (Chile) on your way to join us in Peru, they charge Australian passport holders a hefty US$95 'reciprocity' fee.This information is of course subject to change and you should check with your local embassies.

> What sort of riding gear do I need to bring?

Pretty much everything you normally ride in at home, plus a bit.  Jacket, pants, boots, gloves, wet-weather gear and of course a helmet. The latest flip-up lids are very good, providing the safety of a full-face at speed but allowing an open-face option for air when stopped at the traffic lights. Leather gear is not great in colder weather; goretex / kevlar fabric clothing tends to be more insulating. If you feel the cold more than most, a good set of thermals would be handy for Iceland and our mountain destinations. Your favourite 30-year-old leather jacket just ain't gonna cut it.

> What about communications, and foreign money?

Mobile phone coverage is available pretty much everywhere these days, and Internet also. Many of our hotels provide free wi-fi access at least in the lobby and sometimes also in the rooms. ATM's are everywhere these days, including airports, and they will dispense cash in local currency and often in Dollars or Euros as well. Forget about travellers cheques, they're ancient history; just take an ATM card with you.

> What sort of accommodation do we stay in?

Mid-range or better; cheerful hotels with a hot shower and a cold beer, not the other way  around. Comfortable rather than luxurious or basic. Our camping days are behind us, particularly after a hot or cold or wet ride!

> What about immunisations?

For virtually any overseas travel you'll need the essentials: meningitis, tetanus, typhoid, Hepatitis A, B and C, and Japanese Encephalitis. For South America you'll also need Yellow Fever. We don't suggest the use of anti-malarials on any of our trips, nor rabies unless you're gonna tease the monkeys and street dogs.

> What if . . . umm . . . if it all goes wrong?

Excellent question. This is what nobody likes to think about but it inevitably does happen sometimes. When the unthinkable happens and someone goes under a truck or over the edge or into a pedestrian, you're gonna need to know where the nearest hospital facility is, pronto. This is when a local support crew really earn their keep, with language and managerial skills in a crisis. We've seen the emergency rooms of more foreign hospitals than anybody cares to know. On occasions we've had to medivac people out of remote locations. We've had to repatriate on a couple of occasions. We've had to keep people out of local lockups; we've had to grease a few palms to smooth things over. This is when you receive the benefit of cool heads with many years' experience, and our excellent support infrastructure.


This product has been added to your cart